Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cole William Minsker

HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY COLE-BUG!!! This blog has nothing to do with cancer and everything to do with my amazing, smart, funny, adorable 4 year old little boy.

On October 4, 2007 at 3:30am I got a call from Christiana Hospital stating that I needed to be at Labor and Delivery by 5:00am. With Cole I was being induced a week early because I was so uncomfortable ( I had been pregnant since Feb. of 2006 with only an 8 week break) and because Cole was measuring big. My OB decided that October 4th was a good day since it was his parents anniversary. I got up and got a shower, packed up a diaper bag for Gabby (she was only 11 months old) and got her ready to go to Grammy's. Ryan and I dropped Gabby off and headed to meet my sister at Christiana Hospital. I arrived at 5:00am and went upstairs to the waiting area to be called. I was so nervous, and now that I look back on everything I have been through I would love to be sitting in a waiting room preparing to have a baby then everything I prepare for now.

A nurse finally came and got us, and I remember her so well she was NOT a morning person. She took us to our labor and delivery room and looked at my chart, she asked if I really just had a baby 11 months ago. I told her yes and she said wow 2 babies in one calendar year, I know. I remember being so nervous about having Cole, I was not the same nervous as I was with Gabby. With her it was nervous about labor, nervous about becoming a mommy, and just no clue what I was in for. With Cole I knew he wasn't "ready" to be born yet, he was so high still but I was so tired of being pregnant that I wanted him out. I was nervous because during Gabby's birth there were "complications" (more on that in 3 weeks) I just wanted everything to go smooth. The nurse hooked me up to Pitocin and told me to let her know when I wanted an epidural, I figured I had plenty of time, I was not having any contractions yet and as soon as I said I wanted an epidural last time the anesthesiologist was there in less than 2 minutes.

The morning seemed to be dragging by, I was all hooked up and having small contractions by 6:00am, at 8:00am my doctor arrived, with a big gulp and his cell phone, to break my water. He told me that once he does this the contractions will really start to pick up, boy was he right. The contractions were so bad in  my lower back that I could not even breathe when I was having them, I asked for the epidural and was told the one and only anesthesiologist just went into a c-section and he would be about 45 mins. Are you kidding me! These were the worst pains I have ever felt in my life. Once I finally got the epidural it really didn't seem to help, I was so aggravated and not friendly at this point. Just my luck the Phillies were playing in a playoff game that was on at 1:00pm, so my husband and doctor were very preoccupied with watching the tv. After 10 hours of labor my doctor informed me that it was time to start pushing and that Cole was "sunny side up" meaning he was facing up instead of down, so that explained why the contractions hurt so bad and my back was killing me. 2 hours after I started pushing I still did not have a baby, the doctor told me that Cole was still very high and that they were going to get the O.R. ready for a c-section. I got very angry and told him that he induced me so he better figure out a way to get Cole out without a c-section. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER anger the doctor that this delivering your child. He told me ok and hooked a "vacuum" device to Cole's head and braced himself with one foot up against the wall and the other leg up against the bed and then he started to pull, all his veins were showing in his head , I was sure he was going to deliver just a head with no body attached. He was pulling with everything he had and just like that out came a very chunky and angry looking little boy. Cole's cord was wrapped around his neck and the doctor quickly grabbed it and ripped it over Cole's head. He weighed in at 8lbs 1oz and of course he looked exactly like Ryan too. It is crazy because you don't realize how much you can love another person until you are looking at your newborn child.

Cole was such a good baby the first day and night of his life. The next morning Cole started crying a lot and did not stop for the next 11 months. When he was 3 weeks old we took him to the emergency room at AI because he had cried for 25 straight hours!! He was diagnosed with colic and acid reflux, being around newborn Cole was a joy. After he outgrew his reflux and colic Cole grew into a silly, loving, compassionate, outgoing, and LOUD little boy. Cole has a great personality and everyday he makes us laugh, whether it is with a funny dance, a knock knock joke, or him just simply being Cole. He was definitely a surprise addition to our family but I could not and do not want to picture life without him.

Cole, you have made us so proud of the little boy you have grown into. We love everything about you and can not wait to see what type of man you grow up to be. 4 years ago you completed our family and you remind us daily to just be silly and not take things too seriously. You have been a rock for mommy during all this cancer crap and I can not believe that it has been 4 years since you joined us. WE LOVE YOU SOO MUCH!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUBBA!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Celebrating birthdays & special events in life has such a new meaning for me! It really makes me appreciate the little things! Happy birthday to your son (and I guess your daughter soon) - they're lucky to have such a brave mom!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete