Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another delay in chemo

Today was supposed to mark the end of chemo phase for me, unfortunately, once again my platelet count does not want to cooperate. I went into the Graham yesterday morning to have my blood work done and I got the call about 20 minutes after I left, my platelets this time were only 53,000 and they have to be at least 100,000 to get chemo. This would probably explain why I have an enormous purplish/black bruise that just showed up on my calf. Last Thursday I had to go into Christiana Hospital for an ultrasound of my right leg due to pains and cramping I was having in my leg for 2 days. I was told to go over to make sure I did not have a blood clot, leg was negative for a blood clot. The next day Gabby and I were sitting outside and she asked "mommy what did you do to your leg, it is purple?" I looked at my leg and sure enough, I had a massive bruise on my calf, to my knowledge I did not hit my leg on anything and I certainly had no clue it was there. It is the darkest purple I have ever seen in a bruise, my doc thinks that when I had my ultrasound done my platelets were very low and the ultrasound wand broke some blood vessels. The tech that did my ultrasound was a bigger "Debbie Downer" than me (and that is hard to do), most people that I have come across, in the medical field, so far have been encouraging and always would say things to me like "you got this", "you are going to do great", etc, well "Debbie Downer" asks why I am getting chemotherapy, was pretty sure that was obvious, I told her breast cancer and she said "wow, how old are you", I told her I was 31 and she proceeded with "aww, you are so young, a blood clot is not what you want to take you out", I just said "no, not really". She then went on with some pretty sad stories, not really what I wanted to hear but it is what it is. She told me about one of her co-workers and how she was due next month with her first baby and her husband had served 2 tours in Iraq only to come home and be killed by a drunk driver a month ago, all her stories were like Final Destination nonsense, people who beat a possibly fatal illness or escaped a dangerous situation only to be killed by something silly. I was very happy when she she said my leg was negative and I could escape that exam room.

Anyway, since my counts were too low to get chemo, we will try again Friday morning. I will go in at 9am get blood drawn then wait and see if my counts came up, if so I will get the final round of chemo. I really hope I am able to get this all done on Friday. I am not freaking out this time about not being able to get chemo because although unlikely and maybe even ridiculous, I am telling myself that my counts dropped so low these past 2 times because the cancer is gone and the chemo has nothing to kill off except my blood counts. Staying positive! One week from today I will see the results of my MRI and I will know exactly what the chemo did do, very excited and very nervous for that. Everything is out of my hands, all I can do is pray and wait for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment