Saturday, July 23, 2011

Still no chemo

This is just starting to get frustrating now. I went into to have my platelets checked again on Thursday afternoon and they were up 6 whole platelets! I overdosed myself on an entire bag of carrots (read somewhere carrots increase your platelets) drank some nasty V8 juice and got up Friday morning to get levels checked again. I took all my "chemo stuff" with me so I could get this phase behind me. I had the blood work drawn and went into an exam room to wait for my doc. He came in and said "your counts are still too low", really! They actually went from 59 to 54! We then chatted about my upcoming MRI, and what I have to do. He wants me to keep my MRI for Thursday still, which I am not really ok with because if I get chemo on Monday I am going to feel like crap on Thursday. I don't know about anyone else but when I feel like crap the last thing I want to do is lay in an MRI machine for an hour and listen to the loud banging of the machine and have contrast put into my veins, but oh well. He told me not to be surprised if the MRI shows "residual disease", he would be very surprised if the cancer is completely gone, since I do have DCIS as well, on an MRI this will show up as cancer. No one will know how well I responded to treatment or exactly how much actual cancer I had until after surgery. All of this made me lose it again in his exam room, Ryan asked if I was ok and what was wrong, my doc chimed in and said, he understands why I am upset, I am disappointed about not being able to get the last treatment still and there is still a lot of unknown until surgery. That appointment did not go the way I hoped for. So, I will go back in on Monday and try again. The only problem now is, I woke up today with a cold. Sore throat, stuffy head, a little achy. This has to be cleared up before chemo as well. Oh and I am not taking steroids prior to my last chemo, so now my fear of a reaction is back and tripled! I guess everything went too smoothly so far with chemo. Finger crossed Monday is the day.

On a good note, a friend (Chris Geary), made an incredible cake for my last chemo. He made an enormous round cake that had 2 huge boobs on top which were covered with boxing gloves. Even though I was not able to get the final chemo and have a celebration we took the cake up to cancer center for my co-workers to enjoy anyway. The cake was a hit! Everyone that saw it thought it was so clever and loved it, not to mention it tasted fantastic. If anyone ever needs or wants a cake, like the cake boss cakes, I would highly highly recommend him.
                                  


The cake looks great in photos but pictures really don't do it justice, it was amazing in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment