Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stats

"Cancer makes a woman out of you. After that you become a warrior. Survival is not so much about the body, but rather it is about the triumph of the human spirit"-Danita Vance

One in Eight. That is how many women breast cancer affects. 2.5 million. That is how many breast cancer survivors are currently living in the United States. 75% of women diagnosed with this disease will be told they have Invasive Ductal Cancer, which is my diagnosis, this is the most common form of breast cancer and depending on the hormone receptors, can also be the most aggressive. Fortunately for me I was told my cancer is ER positive, which means it is being fueled by the hormone Estrogen. I have been told that I have the best type to have, is that supposed to make me feel more at ease? Whether I have the best type or the worst type the fact is I am a United States citizen who was diagnosed with breast cancer at 31. In fact, North America has the highest rate of breast cancer in the world. Why is the number 2 killer of women, 46,000 women a year lose their lives to this disease, still on the rise? Susan G. Komen has raised over 1 billion dollars alone for breast cancer research, because of organizations like these treatment for this disease is more successful and more advanced, however, the problem is not the treatment the problem is the detection. You MAY NOT get a mammogram in this country until you are 40 or 35 if you are high risk. THE NUMBER 2 KILLER OF WOMEN AND YOU CAN NOT GET A MAMMO UNTIL 40! Really!! I am fortunate to work for an amazing group of oncologists who got on this right away, I am fortunate to have a breast surgeon who refused to listen to the 40 rule, I am fortunate to have found this at 31. If I waited until 40, well, I may not have made it to 40. There are too many women who are not as fortunate, if your gut tells you something is wrong, even if you feel something, don't take no for an answer. Press for a mammogram, just a side note I had an ultrasound first that showed NOTHING. No woman should have to go through the emotions, sleeplessness nights, and pure terror that I am experiencing. One in eight. Look around you, your group of friends, your family, one in eight. Spread the word, I will fight till I have no fight left in me to make sure that my daughter, my niece, my friends daughters, all young women out there do not go through this.

4 comments:

  1. Knowledge is power! Keep it up...I'm enjoying your writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Minsker you are tough as NAILS. If anyone can do this it is you! If positive thoughts and love could heal you, you would be cancer free tomorrow. When you are having some of your tough days take the positive energy and love that is coming your way and use it for fuel to keep it moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy you are in our prayers every day. You're a fighter and I think it is a brave thing that your doing by posting your journey. We love you! Stay strong, you can beat this.XOXOXOXOX
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy. I said I would start at the beginning and reading with the knowledge that you have gone through hell and have survived to your 2nd cancer free anniversary. I had breast cancer 2yrs ago and caught it so early, that after a partial mastectomy I did not even need radiation let alone chemo. But this time I have been dealt a different hand that is not at all related to that first cancer. My whole attitude to it is totally different and I am not sure I want to risk radiation's the likelihood of one of the permanent side effects. http://inkspirationaldesigns.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/decisions-decisions-decisions.html

    ReplyDelete